Monday, October 5, 2009
Our First Scare
Last Monday we traveled to Alexandria where my grandparents live because my Grandpa was having triple bypass surgery on Tuesday morning. Riley had ran a fever of 99.0-99.8 before and the doctor said call us if it ever reaches 100.4 (which I'm sure all of you with kids know). Well on Tues. afternoon, my grandmother called me at the hospital and said Riley's fever was 100.6, which is disconcerting for a 7 week old to have. I panicked for a minute and then the frantic calling for help began. We wouldn't be able to make it back to Bossier before our doctor's office closed so we had to make an executive decision to stay in Alex. and go to a pediatrician who was recommended by a family member. We finally got in to see the NP and after determining that Riley had an ear infection, she and the Dr. felt it necessary to admit my little one to do a "full septic work-up". My heart sank. For those of you who aren't familiar with that, it involves blood work, urine cultures, a spinal tap, and sometimes x-rays, etc. I could handle the blood work, but sticking a needle in my baby's spine before even seeing if there was an infection present....no way! As if the situation wasn't stressful enough, the doctor on call in Bossier refused to take Riley because she didn't feel comfortable with her traveling 2 1/2 hrs home, so we had to be admitted in Alexandria. After doing an exam and getting her history/symptoms/etc., the new doctor at the hospital said she did not look like a 'sick baby' and that he saw no reason to do a spinal tap...aaahhh-sigh of relief. Her blood work came back ok and showed no sign of infection. He said the symptoms were caused by her reflux and her fever from the ear infection. We only had to stay in the hospital for one night and when we returned back to my grandma's, Riley was a completely different baby--back to her sweet, relaxed self. Thank the Lord! I can't start to imagine how those parents with very sick children feel--I felt helpless enough when all my baby had was a fever! I thank God everyday that Riley is a healthy and happy baby. We are so blessed to have family and friends who call us and pray for us, especially in our time of need....so, THANK YOU!!!! p.s. My Grandpa's surgery went great and he is recovering well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is the so sad when you little one is sick.
I think you grandpaw was one of Tom's patients. I know he atleast helped with him.
Post a Comment